What military bases are in Abilene Texas?
Abilene, Texas is home to Dyess Air Force Base, established in 1942. Dyess AFB consists of the 7th Bomb Wing and 317th Airlift Group. One of only two B-1B bases, the 7th BW is assigned to the Air Combat Command Twelfth Air Force.
Is there a military command center in Abilene Texas?
Dyess Air Force Base (AFB) (IATA: DYS, ICAO: KDYS, FAA LID: DYS) is a United States Air Force base located approximately 7 miles (11 km) southwest of Abilene, Texas. The host unit at Dyess is the 7th Bomb Wing (7 BW) assigned to the Global Strike Command Eighth Air Force.
What is there to do at Dyess AFB?
Things to do in Dyess Air Force Base
- Have some fun at Play Faire Park.
- Enjoy a culinary masterpiece at Fun Noodle Bar Abilene.
- Let the good times roll at The Taylor County Taphouse.
- Experience the flavors of Piquin Mexican Restaurant.
- Enjoy an edible experience at The Shed Market.
- Take a stroll through Red Bud Park.
Who is Dyess Air Force Base named after?
Dyess Air Force Base, four miles west of Abilene, was named after William Edwin Dyess, a distinguished World War II pilot who died in 1943. The base, an adjunct of Camp Barkeley, was initially known as Tye Army Air Field when it was established in December 1942.
Where is the National Defense Command Center located?
The National Military Command Center (NMCC) is located in the Joint Staff area of the Pentagon. The NMCC is responsible for generating Emergency Action Messages (EAMs) to launch control centers, nuclear submarines, recon aircraft and battlefield commanders worldwide.
What are the nicest Air Force bases?
Best Air Force Bases
- Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska.
- Vandenberg AFB, CA.
- Langley AFB, VA.
- Scott AFB, IL.
- MacDill AFB, FL. Closest major city: Tampa, FL.
- Ramstein AB, Germany. Closest major city: Kaiserslautern, Germany.
- RAF Lakenheath, UK. Closest major city: Suffolk, England.
- Hickam AFB, HI. Closest major city: Honolulu, HI.
What is Abilene famous for?
Abilene has become the commercial, retail, medical, and transportation hub of a 19-county area more commonly known as “The Big Country”, but also known as the “Texas Midwest”. It is part of the Central Great Plains ecoregion.
What is in Abilene Texas?
Attractions in Abilene
- 1910 Swenson House.
- 12th Armored Division Memorial Museum.
- Abilene Philharmonic Orchestra.
- Abilene Zoo.
- Cockerell Galleries.
- Fort Phantom Hill.
- Frontier Texas!
- National Center for Children’s Illustrated Literature.
What planes are at Dyess AFB?
Dyess is home to the B-1B, C-130, and T-38 planes. The major command is the Air Combat Command. The 7th Bomb Wing maintains operations 38 of the B-1B aircraft and conducts training for personnel assigned to maintain or fly those planes. Another major unit is 317th Airlift Group.